Hospitality maven Brent Bolthouse virtually invented the Hollywood nightlife scene we know today. Since his move from Joshua Tree to Los Angeles over 20 years ago, Brent has managed to position himself as arguably one of Los Angeles’ leading entrepreneurs and one of the most powerful event producers in the country. From his event production skills, new west side venue, DJ prowess, various club nights, and his passion for photography, to his annual Neon Carnival in the Coachella Valley, Bolthouse has carved out a niche that has made him more than just a local force.
He is the man responsible for opening Hollywood hotspots Avalon, Babylon, Opium Den and Sunset Blvd.’s Coffee House, and, in collaboration with SBE, Together with SBE, worked on high-profile nightlife venues and fine dining establishments including the white-hot Hyde Lounge, the renowned nightclub Area, Foxtail, Katsuya, Chef Michael Mina’s XIV restaurant and the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. In 2009, Bolthouse officially ended his partnership with SBE, but continues to operate Bolthouse Productions as an independent entity, opening The Bungalow, a beachfront hideaway at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows in Santa Monica in 2012 and West Hollywood’s The Warwick in 2013.
In September of 2014, Bolthouse announced the expansion of The Bungalow brand with plans to open a second location in Huntington Beach, CA at Pacific City. The new location is set to incorporate all of the favorite charms of The Bungalow Santa Monica, while paying homage to Huntington Beach’s ‘Surf City’ history and community. It will officially open its doors on Friday, July 8th.
Aside from his business ventures, Bolthouse is a photo enthusiast and often spends his free time behind his Leica M camera. In 2009, he exhibited his first photo show entitled Greenland: A Beautiful Lie. Bolthouse has contributed regularly to Mean magazine, and is a much sought-after DJ. He has also guest-hosted for DJ Mathieu Schreyer on KCRW (89.9 FM), and co-hosted a weekly radio show “Feel My Heat” on Indie 103.1 with Danny Masterson.
Here, this nightlife impresario shares a peek at his desktop essentials—where he comes up with his magic ideas—with Haute Living.
- Photo with my Muse Alex Shabtai in the Sahara Desert just after I asked her to marry me
- My Leica M246 Monochrome (www.leicastorela.com/m-system)
- The D.O.S System Discs to balance my chakras – “These are a game changer” (www.spiritofmaat.com/store/dos-discs/the-d-o-s-system/)
- Catherine Shainberg PhD book “Dream Birth” (www.schoolofimages.com)
- Drunvalo Melchizedek “Living in the Heart” meditation CD (www.youtube.com/user/DrunvaloFlowerofLife)
- DVD – The White Road – Visions of the Indigenous People of the Americas (www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6ehS_94hvo)