Photo Credit: Courtesy Ghirardelli
Calling all chocoholics! Ghirardelli Chocolate Company, San Francisco’s premier chocolate manufacturer, is putting on the 20th Anniversary Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival on Saturday, September 12 and Sunday, September 13 from 12 – 5 p.m. at San Francisco’s historic Ghirardelli Square. Projected to be the biggest Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival to date, this two-day celebration – perfect for chocolate lovers, foodies and festival-goers – will feature unique samples by some of the finest local dessert companies, chef demonstrations from chocolatiers, ice-cream sundae eating contests and of course, Ghirardelli Chocolate! 100% of profits from the festival benefit Project Open Hand and their efforts to serve “meals with love” to people with HIV/AIDS, the homebound critically ill and seniors.
“For the past 20 years, the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival has created unforgettable food experiences for the community,” says Martin Thompson, Ghirardelli president and CEO. “As the event grows each year, it has become a San Francisco staple bringing foodies and families back each year. With more than 30,000 people predicted to attend, we know we will raise a record-breaking amount for Project Open Hand.”
With general Chocolate Tasting Tickets, guests will indulge in delicacies ranging from chocolate crepes and cupcakes, to Ghirardelli’s World Famous Hot Fudge Sundaes. General Tasting Tickets are $20 for 15 tastes when purchased in advance or $25 at the door. Ghirardelli Chocolate and Wine Pavilion Tasting Tickets offer guests an additional 12 tastings in the Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion and a souvenir wine glass. These tickets on Saturday are $50 in advance or $60 at the door. Sunday tickets are $40 in advance and $60 at the door. Guests must be 21+ years old to take part in the Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion tastings. Several general events will be available at no charge.
- Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion: Come sip and savor premium samples from local wineries and gourmet dessert vendors in the heart of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival. This new and exclusive area of the event will require an additional “Pavilion” ticket good for 12 gourmet tastings, so unwind, relax, and try something new! The Ghirardelli Chocolate & Wine Pavilion is only open for Festival guests with Pavilion tickets 21 years and older.
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Earthquake Ice Cream Eating Contest: A Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival Tradition! Festival attendees compete or just witness the hilarity as five lucky people eat the famous Ghirardelli “Earthquake” Sundae as fast as they can without hands. Battling each other and their own stomachs, competitors are sure to make this experience a memorable (and delicious) one. Children also compete with a smaller version of the famous Earthquake Sundae. There are three competitions on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Chocolate School- “From Cocoa Bean to Chocolate Bar”: Join Ghirardelli’s own “Chocolate Professor”, Steve Genzoli, as he teaches “Chocolate School” and takes audience members through a tour of the delicious chocolate making process. Learn every step a bean takes to become that mouth watering chocolate bar from Ghirardelli’s own Chocolate Professor.
- Wente Vineyards Culinary Stage: Local culinary professionals work their delicious magic on both Saturday and Sunday at the Wente Vineyards Culinary Stage. Be engaged in all things chocolate and learn the inside scoop on many delectable delights. Learning has never tasted so good!
- Samples from 50+ vendors: Decadent chocolate and wine tastings from Ghirardelli Hot Fudge Sundaes to chocolate cupcakes and everything in between!
To participate in this annual community event, visit http://www.ghirardelli.com/events/chocolate-festival. Giving back has never been so sweet!