The sophisticated chefs at The Ritz-Carlton, DIFC have devised Ramadan meals that not only highlight the rich culinary variety of Middle Eastern dishes, but also seek to infuse popular modern and international favorites with an Arabic twist. Head to The Ritz-Carlton, DIFC for an Iftar and Suhoor that offers a comprehensive selection of worldly gastronomical delights. And, if you’re as lucky as we were, you’ll take home zesty recipe such as for the Arabic Sushi below.
This Ramadan you can take a gastronomic journey around the world with The Ritz-Carlton, DIFC. The luxury property’s all-day dining restaurant, Caravan, has given traditional Ramadan dishes and beverages from Indonesia, Malaysia and India as well as those from the Arabian Peninsula an innovative twist, making breaking the fast a memorable experience for family, friends and colleagues. Elegantly designed with an Arabian oasis theme and featuring indoor seating as well as outdoor tents facing the resort’s verdant lawns, Caravan is an ideal location for intimate and memorable Iftar and Suhoor gatherings. Here’s to Ramadan with a culinary twist.
- 3 cups Japanese rice (preferably Nishiki or Carlose)
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 pieces nori sheets
- Assorted Middle Eastern fillings. Please see suggestions below.
- Rinse the rice, and repeat 6-8 times until the water becomes clear. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside for 20 minutes. Place the rice in a rice cooker and add water.
- When the rice is cooked, let it sit for around 15 minutes.
- Prepare sushi vinegar by mixing rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool.
- Spread the hot steamed rice onto a large plate or a large bowl. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and place to the side.
- Centre one sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat and wet your hands
- Using your hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the sheet of nori, and press into a thin layer
- Arrange the ingredients of your choice in a line down the center of the rice
- Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Roll it forward to make a complete roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
*Hand rolls take a bit of practice. Start with this method until you are comfortable before trying more elaborate styles of maki rolling.
- Shawarma chicken
- Cos lettuce
- Garlic mayonnaise
- Arabic pickle
- Sesame seed
Beet root maki:
- Beetroot Murtable
- Roasted beetroot Baton
- Black Sesame seeds
- Daikon julienne
- Tomato Julienne
- Lollo rosa lettuce
- Cucumber Julienne
- Preserved lemon
These are just a few suggestions, let your creativity take over and the possibilities are limitless!
Happy rolling and Ramadan Kareem.
The Ritz Carlton DIFC is located in Downtown Dubai. Tel: +971 43722777.