There is nothing better than a crispy, juicy, red, cold piece of succulent watermelon. Although you can buy them year round, nothing excites me more then scoring a big one on a hot summer morning at my local farmer’s market. I take my time knocking on each and every one making sure that my perfect choice has just the right hollow sound. Not only is it yummy and delicious, but this summer treat has health benefits, too.
- Watermelon is thirst quenching and reduces the risk of dehydration. It has a special cooling effect and is rich in electrolytes that are lost during perspiration.
- No matter how you slice it, it is a sexy fruit that helps the blood flow throughout the body and is found to increase libido. What makes this fruit even sexier is that a cup is only about 90 calories.
- Watermelon is packed full of B vitamins that are necessary for energy.
- Watermelon is attributed to fighting the effects of many diseases because it contains thiamine, potassium and magnesium. It can reduce the severity of asthma, colon cancer, heart disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- The beautiful red color you see once you crack it open is because of the high levels of lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that when ingested travels through the body neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals are what cause are body harm and lead to disease.
Watermelon, oh how I love thee. For a list of your local farmer’s markets you can visit http://www.localharvest.org. Until next time my friends, visit www.raylenebartolacci.com. To health and wellness, salute.