With the Oscars approaching this Sunday, we decided to sit down with jeweler to the stars Neil Lane to talk red carpet trends. Lane’s name is synonymous with luxury, Hollywood and celebrity— his high-end baubles have been worn by everyone from Jennifer Lawrence, Jennifer Lopez and Jennifer Aniston to Gwen Stefani and Angelina Jolie. Lane took a moment out of his busy schedule to chat with Haute Living about red carpet trends, his favorite looks and just how much planning goes into choosing the full Oscar outfit—jewels included!
ONE ON ONE WITH NEIL LANE
What’s the hottest trend on the red carpet for younger starlets versus veteran attendees?
Younger starlets tend to take more risks both with jewelry and fashion. Most of the veteran actresses choose classic, timeless pieces every season.
How far in advance do celebrities choose jewelry for their Oscar looks? Sometimes several months, and others, days before!
What determines and inspires jewelry trends at the award shows each year? The winter, spring, and fall fashion couture collections for the upcoming year as well as, for me, personally investing the time to create unique pieces that reflect what I see as a lasting legacy focused on beauty, style and elegance. What I love about jewelry is that, no matter what is showing on runways around the world, there is always the right piece for the right look.
Do celebrities reach out to you personally to style them and provide pieces? Yes, I receive both personal requests and work with stylists as well.
How do you choose looks for the celebrities that come to you for jewelry? Jewelry styling revolves around several factors including the dress and hair styles, and then we go from there. It’s a very intimate and special process for each person I work with.
Where can we go to purchase some of your fabulous jewelry? Depends on what you are looking for, if you see something on my website neillanejewelry.com that interests you, come into my store and we can discuss options. If you are looking for more accessible pieces, inspired by my couture collections, check out kay.com.
5 TRENDS YOU SHOULD EXPECT TO SEE ON 87TH OSCARS RED CARPET
1. Adding lots of glitz to menswear-inspired looks. Lorde pulled this trend off effortlessly pairing a dazzling diamond necklace with a three-piece suit on the rep carpet this year.
2. Statement necklaces are also an item to look for on the carpet. Rings, earrings and bracelets are always big, but this year we’re seeing more large diamond necklaces.
3. Long earrings are always a red carpet favorite as they frame the face with sparkle and create a slight slimming effect.
4. Jewel toned jewelry and flower shaped jewelry will be a huge trend as well, with spring fast approaching.
5. Gold has made quite a few appearances on the red carpet. While many traditionally opt for diamonds, gold is another great way to add glamour to any look. What’s the hottest trend on the red carpet for younger starlets versus veteran attendees? Younger starlets tend to take more risks both with jewelry and fashion. Most of the veteran actresses choose classic, timeless pieces every season.