Romero Britto Makes Miami Go Pop




Brazilian-born Miami pop artist Romero Britto has become a logo of sorts for the city of Miami. It’s an idea reinforced by the fact a Britto concept store greets visitors at MIA and public art pieces grace squares from Miami Beach to Midtown. With collectors like Prince Albert of Monaco and Michael Jordan buying original pieces, Britto eventually moved his pioneering Lincoln Road studio to Wynwood in 2012. His famous script adorns loads of Britto-branded items and special editions like the Britto Mini and the Brazilian-themed Barbie doll he released with Mattel this March. It was the same month that he was honored at the Brazil Foundation Gala where a Britto-painted helmet of race-car driver Helio Castroneves was auctioned for $20,000. Last month, he unveiled a hand-painted box for Hublot’s official FIFA World Cup watch.

4a.m. I generally wake up around 4a.m. First thing in the morning is the only time I have to review all the emails I receive!

6a.m. I work out with my trainer who comes to see me at the St. Regis in Bal Harbour. Eating well and working out really help me to feel good and stay focused…it gives me energy for the long day ahead. After my workout, I’ll have breakfast, usually egg whites, also at the St. Regis.  Sometimes I head to News Cafe on Ocean Drive. If it’s early enough, and it’s calm and the sun is shining, I will try to squeeze in a walk on the beach. That’s something I used to do every morning with my son when my studio was on Lincoln Road.  Now, I don’t get to do it so often, but I really love it!

8 a.m. On my drive to work, I always talk to my best friend and agent, Alina Shriver, about the business, about what’s going on in our lives. I also talk to my Chief of Staff, Frannie Sevilla-Sacasa, who gives me a briefing for the day ahead.

9 a.m. When I arrive at my studio in Wynwood, I always try to start the day with painting!

11 a.m. I take a walk around my studio to see what’s happening in each department (Production, Inventory, Shipping, Framing). Sometimes I’ll stop to sign artwork as needed before it gets shipped to a collector.

12 p.m. I always order a chicken paillard from Joey’s right down the street, or I’ll head to Wynwood Kitchen & Bar if I have a scheduled business lunch.

1-3 p.m.: I try to get more painting done after lunch, and generally save meetings with my staff or vendors for later in the afternoon. I also have to maintain a certain level of involvement with the day to day operations of the business, and of course with all the creative decisions.

4-6 p.m. My assistant keeps this time open on my schedule for interviews with journalists, and studio visits from my collectors.

7-9 p.m. I always try to stop by my gallery on Lincoln Road towards the end of the day whenever possible. The evening is a good time to interact with collectors, as well as catch up with my Assistant Gallery Director Colin Watson, who curates the gallery. It’s important to ensure that everything is going smoothly there.  Plus it’s always amazing to see my paintings on the wall. It’s hard to believe that I used to have my studio there, as well as all of my operations, my accounting department, frame shop, shipping, etc., all in that space.

9 p.m. Dinners are generally both social and work-related. I might eat with collectors, my staff, friends, or all of the above. I like going to Meat Market on Lincoln Road, Soho Beach House, Joe’s Stone Crab, and Il Gabbiano. If I don’t have a scheduled dinner, I might try to squeeze in a massage at the Standard.

12 a.m. I’m a night owl, so I don’t sleep a lot. I actually try to wind down with emails… which I just pick back up again when I wake up four hours later!