1. What makes Meadowood Napa Valley Resort Haute?
Meadowood is a luxury resort offering golf, tennis, croquet, hiking, swimming, fitness, spa, wine education and a Michelin three-star restaurant dining experience…all on a private 250-acre estate in the heart of the Napa Valley.
2. What is your favorite room/suite in the hotel?
The Estate Suite is settled into the eastern slope of Meadowood’s small, private valley and offers sweeping views of the fairways below and the forested hillsides to the west. The Suite offers elegant, cottage-style décor and furnishings and its cozy dining spaces are perfect for enjoying warm country breakfasts.
Expansive terraces celebrate the region’s indoor-outdoor living tradition and face northwest to capture the full length of each day. Seating allows for casual gatherings, al fresco dining, reading or dozing.
3. For sushi, which restaurant would you recommend to your guests?
Our Guest Services team will be happy to assist you with planning your itinerary. While the valley offers a tremendous selection of wonderful restaurants to recommend, for sushi you may wish to try Morimoto Napa located in the new Napa Riverfront complex. Morimoto Napa is the Iron Chef’s first West Coast restaurant and offers great sushi, Japanese cuisine and a fun atmosphere in the city of Napa.
4. Tell us about a perfect day in Napa Valley.
· Start your day with a morning hike along Meadowood’s trails, tailoring your experience to accommodate an easy stroll or a more rigorous uphill hike.
· Enjoy a light country breakfast in The Grill at Meadowood or through Private Dining in the comfort of your room before getting ready to explore.
· Swanson Vineyards & Sip Shoppe – Rutherford
The Swanson Salon was inspired by the famous political, art, and literary salons of 18th century Paris where educated discourse and passion for the good life reigned. A more in-depth, involved experience, The Salon is a destination for people who share passions for wine, food and travel.
Be sure to stop by the winery’s adjoining Sip Shoppe: This is a whimsical shoppe showcasing Swanson Vineyards’ finest library vintages paired with the perfect small bite, along with carefully curated gifts and select wines available by the case and the bottle. Featuring its own tasting menu, Sip Shoppe wines are poured in charming glass “Dixie” cups, mini Riedel Os, or tiny crystal cordials in 1.5 ounce sip sizes.
· Stop at Oakville Grocery Gourmet Deli for sandwiches, cheese, charcuterie
· Continue south to Yountville and visit Ma(i)sonry Napa Valley, which pairs artisan wines with exquisite art and furnishings in a historic setting. This “living gallery” atmosphere serves as a stylized backdrop for the appreciation of limited production boutique wines – including Blackbird Vineyards’ portfolio of Pomerol-inspired blends.
· Relax back at Meadowood and enjoy a treatment in the Health Spa or lounge by the pool in the late afternoon.
· Make your way over to the Reception Lodge, where you will attend our Wine Discovery Series class, Napa Valley’s Hidden Values before dinner. Spend some time with Master Sommelier Gilles de Chambure as you discover where to find special values in this preeminent wine region.
· Enjoy Chef Christopher Kostow’s cusine in The Restaurant at Meadowood, our Michelin three-star dining establishment. You may choose from a seasonal four-course menu or the Chef’s nine-course Tasting Menu with or without wines paired with each course.
· Retire to your room for a wonderful night’s sleep at Meadowood.
5. What are some special amenities available at Meadowood?
In addition to miles of hiking trails around the property, spa, tennis courts, nine-hole golf course, some of the special amenities and offerings here at Meadowood are:
· Dinner in The Restaurant at Meadowood. The Restaurant at Meadowood was awarded three Michelin Stars in the 2011 San Francisco Bay Area Michelin Guide! The Restaurant is one of two establishments to have this prestigious distinction in the Western United States (the other is The French Laundry). Chef Christopher Kostow was the second American-born Chef (after Thomas Keller) to receive the honor; as well as the third youngest.
· Wine Education. Meadowood enjoys the distinction as the only Napa Valley hotel with a Master Sommelier in residence. Guests are invited to enhance their stay by spending time with our Wine Education Director Gilles de Chambure MS during our new Wine Discovery Series classes; there are three classes each week ($40 per person):
a. Wednesdays from 5:45-6:30 pm – Sensory Evaluation of Wine
b. Thursdays from 5:45-6:30 pm – Napa Valley’s Hidden Values
c. Saturdays from 5:45-6:30 pm – Undiscovered Gems of Napa Valley
· Meadowood’s New Golf Performance Studio. Meadowood currently has the only course in California to offer both TrackMan Pro and the new TrackMan Range technology. Golf Pro Doug Pike introduces you to the most current radar technology and teaching methods being introduced to the golf world in our new Golf Performance Studio. No other hotel or resort in the Bay Area can offer both Hickory Golf and the latest in TrackMan technology…experience two centuries of golf in one afternoon!
· Croquet. Our property welcomed a new Resident Croquet Pro Mike McDonnell thiss summer. Not only does Mike have strong family ties to Meadowood (his dad introduced croquet to Meadowood Founding Partner H. William (Bill) Harlan) but he’s also an accomplished bass player, having toured with jazz great Maynard Ferguson and Sir Tom Jones. A Croquet Pro, musician and even pilot, meet Mike for a lesson on the Jerry Stark Memorial Croquet Lawns.
Alain Negueloua is the General Manager of Meadowood Napa Valley Resort. Check out their profile on the exclusive Haute Hotel Network.