With the meteorologists predicting the hottest summer New York has seen in years, it is safe to say your Hamptons home will become a hotspot for summer entertaining. Before you fire up the grill and gather your VIP friends for your Hamptons soirées, be sure to freshen up your home with pro-tips from Stephanie Michaan.
Michaan is the founder of The Interior, a plush design firm with expansive taste. Michaan is passionate about lifestyle, design and transforming spaces into places of serenity to be lived in every day. With an emphasis on modern and minimal design, The Interior uses clean palettes and natural elements to create timeless and refined spaces. Situated in the Hamptons and New York City, The Interior works with clients to design both small and large-scale residential projects, heading the creative process to build beautiful, functional spaces that feel like home. There’s no doubt about it, Michaan will have your Hamptons home looking better than it has ever looked before. See her tips below.
How to freshen up your Hamptons home:
- Fresh Flowers – in the summer bring the outdoors inside. Pick up some fresh hydrangea from your favorite farm stand and the room will feel refreshed.
- Use lightweight fabrics – switch out your bedding, throw blankets and pillows throughout the house. Try using lightweight cottons and linens in a soft palette. The switch in materials will lighten up your rooms without having to make a drastic change.
- Use summer scents – put away your warm, wintery scents and opt for clean floral or citrus candles. Scents can transform a space with very minimal effort.
- Replenish your beach towels for you and your guests.
- Move things around – if you want a room or your outdoor space to feel new without buying a thing, rearrange your furniture.
- Stay organized. When things are in place, each area will feel more open and bigger.
- Open your windows and let the space breath. It’s important to first declutter but it’s just as important to simply let some air in.
- If you are looking for new furniture, try slipcovers. Nothing keeps furniture looking fresher than something you can switch out and wash often. White linen slipcovers fit perfectly in the Hamptons.
- Refresh yourself! Take a trip to the new Botanica Bazaar in Amagansett. The new beauty and wellness shop has everything you could dream of to stay fresh all summer in the Hamptons.
Where to go:
- Round Swamp Farm – for Fresh Flowers
- Tiina The Store – for Lightweight fabrics. The store has beautiful lightweight throw blankets.
- Jayson Home Store, Sag Harbor – For summer candles the new home store in has a great selection of candles.
- General Home Store, East Hampton – to stay organized; they have beautiful gifts and home accessories to stay organized and ready to host great dinner parties.
- Serena & Lily –The beach shop carries some of the best towels and home essentials that will instantly make you feel like you’re at the beach.
- JanGeorge – The Sag Harbor design store carries a collection of lightweight, white slipcover furniture from bedframes, to couches and chairs.
- Botanica Bazaar, Amagansett – the new beauty and wellness shop carries a range of refreshing products including Herbivore products.