Ever wonder what the most powerful leaders, business execs and celebrities keep on their desks? Well, we’re about to tell you. Our biweekly “What’s on My Desk” feature will take a look inside the offices and at the desks of the world’s most influential power players.
This week we’ve chosen to feature the desk of “Papa” Doug Manchester, the Chairman of Manchester Financial Group. MFG is one of San Diego’s largest and most profitable private companies, which owns The Grand Del Mar and Amaya La Jolla, among other properties. Manchester is also Chairman and Publisher of the U-T San Diego daily newspaper. Here is a look at the items on this powerhouse’s desk.
- U-T Football Helmet: this was a gift from the San Diego Chargers in which they had it printed the U-T initials on the side in honor of his acquisition of the U-T San Diego newspaper. Papa Doug is a huge sports enthusiast and can often be found at local sporting events cheering on the home team.
- “No” button – he received this as a gift and likes to keep it close by to maintain a bit of humor at the workplace
- Individual photo on the left: this is of his granddaughter Lael.
- Group photo: a shot of most of his grandchildren (not all of them, as they weren’t all born when the photo was taken).
- Trophy: an “Innovation in Education” award presented to him by the University of San Diego last year (he’s very involved with the local universities and serves on many educational boards).
- U-T San Diego mug: usually filled with a cup of freshly brewed coffee
- Books: each one was a gift and has significant meaning to him. The four books include: A Passion to Lead – Theodore Roosevelt in His Own Words, Images of Greatness, Celebrating America’s Spirit Together and The Science of Success.
- U-T San Diego newspaper: he always has a current edition of the newspaper on his desk