Every beauty junkie knows the name Jane Iredale, a woman celebrated for her collection of eponymous, high-end, eco-friendly and mineral cosmetics. This English rose moved to the United States as a young woman and first began working first as a casting director and then as a writer and producer in both New York and Los Angeles. She moved on from film, television and theater to create her eponymous makeup line, jane iredale. With the launch of the mineral foundation Amazing Base, in 1994, she introduced a makeup line that would nurture skin, not irritate it; a makeup line that she could feel good about producing, and women could feel good about wearing. The beauty guru demonstrated that she’s as big on inner beauty as she is on the external recently with her new fall launches; in addition to the new jane iredale Fashion Forward Collection for Fall 2016, she launched the new limited edition Lemongrass Love Hydration Spray in collaboration with Living Beyond Breast Cancer. All of the profits from the sales of Lemograss Love will be donated to the national education organization whose mission is to connect people with trusted breast cancer information and a community of support. Here, Iredale offers Haute Living a sneak peek at her desk—the place that she comes up with her million dollar beauty ideas.
1. Sprigs of Lavender from My Garden: When I started my company, I’d pack orders on my kitchen table, grab scissors and cut sprigs of lavender to put in the boxes as a way of saying “thank you.” That tradition continues to this day. There’s lavender everywhere! I’m an avid gardener and the benefits, taste and smell of plants and their extracts are in my blood.
2. Paint Swatches: I love fashion and color, so I’m always looking for ways to bring a fresh look to our products. After a walk in the garden, it’s so much fun to bring out color swatches and see what I can match. I’m currently having fun with our Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain. The color self-adjusts to each wearer, and I’m observing how it translates beautifully across multiple skin tones.
3. Tea: I was born and raised in England. My mum’s favorite question was, “Cup of tea?” The answer was always a resounding “Yes!” There’s nothing like a cuppa on my porch watching the birds taking a bath in the fountain, but one at my desk is always welcome, too.
4. Hand Cream with SPF: Our hands are so often neglected in the course of a busy day. Because of the constant washing and sun exposure, they show our age long before our face does. I like to keep HandDrink Hand Cream with SPF 15 at my desk and apply it as often as I can remember, which ought to be more!
5. Flowers: One of my personal philosophies is “find beauty every day.” I can look at a flower and be overwhelmed with a sense of appreciation for its beauty. I surround myself with as many flowers as possible from my garden and the local farmer’s market. When summer’s over, in come the orchids.