When we were invited to start living slowly and enjoy an afternoon of indulgence at the SLS Beverly Hills, we couldn’t resist. What hard-working human (or anyone that really enjoys being pampered, really) turn down lunch at Tres by José Andrés, a facial by Biologique at Ciel Spa and an overnight stay in this sexy spot? We admit it: we’re not made of stronger stuff, because we couldn’t turn this down—and neither should you. The good news: you have until July 10 to sit back, relax and enjoy. Meanwhile, we did some ‘investigative’ work and discovered five fabulous ways to truly indulge yourselves at the SLS this summer.
- IT’S ALL ABOUT THE ALTITUDE. Soak up the summer rays at Altitude, SLS’ rooftop pool, where you’ll find sweet signature cocktails, new menu items and weekly music programming through Labor Day. Our favorite new libation is the Copper Passion, made with Passion Fruit Purée, Absolut Elyx vodka, and topped with a Rosé Cava “float,” presented in a two-piece pineapple-shaped copper tumbler. You’ll love summer-friendly fare like the Beverly Hills ‘Bikini’ Sandwich, as well as new items such as Grilled Octopus Tacos wrapped in bibb lettuce with pickled onion, smoked tomato and aioli; Jamón Serrano & Seasonal Melon Skewers; and Roasted Baby Corn Skewers with cotija cheese, sal de gusano, and aioli. Entertainment is provided by DJ Skemaddox, who will spin a mix of tropical house, pop downtempo remixes, nu disco, melodic house, and Indie beats alongside a lineup of revolving guest DJs.
Photo Credit: Darko Zagar
2. FANCY A SPOT OF TEA? Raise a pinky and let the magic and madness of Andrés’ menu overtake you. Delight with savory and sweet snacks, from caviar steam buns to beet macaroons stuffed with goat cheese as well as lox cones before stuffing your face silly with sweet treats from the Patisserie like bon bons courtesy of Executive Pastry Chef Kriss Harvey, all while sipping a variety of choice loose-leaf teas (or champagne. Always champagne). It’s a fabulous way to feel fancy.
3. ENJOY THE SUITE LIFE. It’s a sweet life indeed when you book a stay in the SLS’ 1,900 square foot Presidential Suite, where you’ll find a living room, grand dining area for 10 guests, master bedroom and bathroom, a separate bedroom and walk-in closet and a full wet bar, pantry and kitchen. Even if you opt for a different experience here (there are 297 Philippe Starck-designed guest rooms and suites), your experience will be similar thanks to ultra-modern and classically elegant decor. There are even six lifestyle suites which offer Technogym equipment and experience showers with rainforest showerheads, as well as two hypoallergenic Pure Rooms with onelectric air purifiers and your choice of goose down or organic cotton pillow-top beds. Everything—and we do mean everything, from funky closets to kitschy mood lighting—is tailored to your desire.
4. FACE THE MUSIC. Or should we say ‘facial’ the music? The SLS’ Ciel Spa has revamped its menu and now offers even more incredible services. Just a few of the experiences offered here include herbal steam rooms, experience showers and custom massage beds equipped with music therapy technology; a co-ed relaxation lounge featuring a signature menu of healthy snacks created by Andrés. As for your facial, well, let’s just say that if the spa can’t fix your problems (though it probably can), at least you’ll be able to identify what’s wrong with your skin. French biological cult skincare brand Biologique Recherche has developed a machine that will analyze your skin to maximize the results of your highly personalize facial, which can ascertain the elasticity of the area around your ideas, your dehydration levels and your pigmentation issues. If you’re in the mood to try something new, well, how can you not order up the Indulgence package? This two-hour treatment begins with a muscle relaxing and soothing soak in an oversized tub—while you sip a glass of champagne. This will be followed by a 90-minute Ciel Stone Therapy Massage and L’Aroma Remedy personalized to your current needs. To note: the spa also offers a series of skin enhancements such as microdermabrasion, oxygen masks, paraffin masks and collagen masks. There is also an on-site salon for hair, makeup and nails.
5. HAVE A WHITE PARTY. There’s a new hot spot in town, and it’s the newly opened Bar Blanca at the SLS, which is located on the terrace of The Bazaar by José Andrés. At Bar Blanca, guests can experience the flavors of chef Andrés’ creative cooking style through a set menu of shared Spanish tapas that include Tortilla de Patatas “New Way,” Oxtail Steamed Bun, Jicama Wrapped Guacamole, Jamón with Idiazábal and Catalan Style Toasted Bread, and Endive with Goat Cheese. Included in the terrace menu is a porron of refreshing Sidra (cider), Fino sherry, or Basque wine, following the classic Spanish presentation in a glass pitcher with a tapered spout. There’s also a focus on rare and unique spirits, so expect to find craft-distilled liquor from all over the globe here, be it gin, rum, brandy, whisky, tequila, mezcal or vodka. Make sure to try the classic Spanish aperitivo, Vermut, which is served with an olive and orange slice over ice; Rebujito, made with Manzanilla, lemon soda and lime bitters.