I’m writing this from 40,000 feet above the Gulf of Mexico en-route to LA and on the heels of an absolutely incredible “Bosh Family World Tour,” through Europe. In doing this, I’m realizing just how much time I spend on the road (or in the air in this case).
Being a Bosh comes with its fair share of travel. Some for fun, but a lot of it is to attend trade shows, meetings, photo shoots and now things associated with the launch of Sparkle + Shine, Darling, my new retail boutique and event space in Miami Beach. In other words, my plate has never been more full and my roots less rooted.
One of the ways I cope is by bringing the comforts of home along with me on my family’s frequent journeys to help make temporary lodging, whether it’s our Malibu summer home or an away game hotel room, feel like home.
Here are my cherished tips for creating a home among the highways:
- Tote along some friendly faces: In today’s digital age, never underestimate the power of a portrait. The very first thing I set aside when I’m getting ready for a trip is my favorite framed photos of my husband and three precious Bosh babies. Be sure to pack special shots of family, friends, kids, pets or anything that makes you happy.
- Make it smell like home: Scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. Calm your nerves at a day’s end with a scented candle that reminds you of home. Lemon is a nice, light summer scent which carries calming and clarifying properties that can help soothe weary travelers who feel angry, anxious or run down. I also love Lavender to quiet the mind. Try Nest’s Bamboo or Trapp’s Orange Vanilla Poured Candle, both available at Sparkle + Shine, Darling.
- Personalize your temporary space: I’m a huge fan of replacing a few items provided by the hotel with my own personal touches. Try switching out sterile robes and slippers with your own furry favorites and restock the bathroom with an herbal bubble bath or calming bath salts. Since a good night’s sleep is key for a relaxing, stress-free trip, I always tote along my own mini pillow and a super-soft throw to curl up with at night or during a long flight.
- Hit a high note: A personalized playlist is the ultimate pick-me-up for any time of day. I travel everywhere with my purse-sized Sparkle + Shine, Darling portable music cube, which I can bring to the beach, pool, gym – anywhere!
- Embrace the local coffee culture: See how your new city takes its cup of coffee. Bring your favorite coffee/tea mug and explore the local blends.
- Brighten up with fresh blooms: Nothing adds instant life to a room like a bouquet of your favorite fresh flowers from the local Farmer’s Market (I love peonies, roses, or lilies). Most hotels are happy to provide vases upon request.
Wherever your travels take you this summer, I hope these simple tricks help you make your mark on a temporary space. The world is your oyster, darling. Bon voyage!
xoxo- Adrienne Bosh