Bet you didn’t know that Zacapa is the name of a town in eastern Guatemala that lies 751ft above sea level. Well, back in 1976 this town celebrated its centenary and what better way to celebrate then by creating something extra special, like rum. And so a unique premium spirit was born, Ron Zacapa, a creation by Guatemala’s premier rum-producing company. Ron Zacapa is not your ordinary rum, here are seven reasons to prove just that.
1. Craftsmanship: Zacapa is handcrafted with the utmost care in Guatemala and produced using only the finest pressing of sugar cane juice aka as “virgin sugar cane honey” cultivated from the fertile, volcanic soil of the Guatemalan coast.
2. The Sistema Solera Process: Traditional, dynamic barrel aging process in which spirits of different ages and personalities are blended, and then subsequently stored in selected barrels to continue the maturing process. This process is guided and repeated under the critical eye of the Master Blender until reaching the maturity and complexity of aromas and flavors that shape this exquisite rum.
3. Lorena Vasquez: Master blender Lorena Vasquez is one of only a few female Master Blenders in the world. She is known for her expressive and dramatic character and approach to blending and sometimes likens and composes the liquid to classical music.
4. Above the Clouds: Zacapa Rum is aged in southeastern Guatemala in a facility known as the “House of Clouds,” 7,500 feet above sea level. With an average temperature of 62 degrees Fahrenheit, the cold altitude helps smooth the aging process and development of its characteristic color, body, flavor and aroma.
5. Attention to Detail: A hand woven ‘petate’ band is wrapped around every bottle of Zacapa Rum 23. This 3,000 year-old Mayan cultural tradition links Zacapa to the ancient Guatemalan civilization and are still hand woven today by the descendants of the Mayans.
6. Award Winning: Zacapa has been awarded first place 5 times in a row at the international rum contest and is the only luxury rum in the Rum Hall of Fame.
7. Zacapa Rum Offerings:
– Zacapa Rum 23: Aged between 6 and 23 years, Zacapa Rum 23 hasintricacies of honey, butterscotch, and raised fruit flavors. It makes an excellent addition in cocktails such as the Old Fashioned due to its signature flavor and mixability but is best enjoyed over a large, pure clear ice cube in a rocks glass.
– Zacapa Rum XO: Aged between 6 and 25 years in five types of oak barrels, including former Cognac barrels, Zacapa Rum XO reveals dark cherry and spicy characteristics that are comparable to that of a fine Cognac. It is best enjoyed neat in a snifter glass.
For more information, please visit www.zacaparum.com/