David A. Bernahl, II is a man who knows his food. Bernahl founded the Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival, the be-all, end-all foodie event for Angelenos. Bernahl’s company, Coastal Luxury Management, also owns Faith & Flower in downtown L.A., Rose. Rabbit. Lie. at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas and produces the Pebble Beach Food & Wine festival in northern California. Understandably, we just had to ask him which dishes in the City of Angels he considers to taste the most heavenly. In advance of the 4th Annual Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival on August 21-24, here are this food guru’s top seven favorite dishes in Los Angeles.
DAVID BERNAHL’S TOP 7 DISHES IN L.A.
1. I love the Short Rib Meatloaf at FIG Santa Monica from Ray Garcia. It reminds me of a home-cooked meal with the mashed potatoes and carrots and the pancetta adds the perfect touch.
2. I love the raw bar and oysters at Bouchon in Beverly Hills. It’s perfect with a glass of great wine especially on a warm summer day.
3. I go to Chi Spacca when I am in the mood for meat. Their charcuterie is the best in the city.
4. I go to Hinoki & the Bird for just about everything on the menu and I can’t leave without a cocktail or two. Their signature hinoki scented black cod is amazing. Right now they have a great chili crab toast with spicy cucumber. It is pure heaven.
5. I go to MB Post for the seafood—the steamed mussels in a green curry sauce, the loup de mer with pea shoots and a crispy garlic, but somehow I always end up with the bacon cheddar biscuits. I also love the laid back beach community
6. Bäco Mercat—I can’t get enough of Josef’s bacos— I love all of them but the beef tongue schnitzel, toron, and the original are my favorites.
7. I really like what Ari Taymor is doing at Alma in downtown L.A. He is turning out great food with a very minimal and well-edited approach. I always trust him and what he is putting on the tasting menu of the moment.