As the Founder and Creative Director, of the fashion brand Black Halo, Laurel Berman has an uncanny eye for what fits the female form. Her architectural designs summon a natural inner beauty and strength that are both liberating and empowering to women—which is a fit, given that her inspiration is the female form itself. Born in Spokane, Washington, her passion for design led her to study at the San Francisco Academy of Fashion. She then worked in many capacities for various brands within the industry. Her multi-faceted experience provided the foundation needed to construct and execute her vision of a brand made for all women. Since launching the brand in 2002, Berman transformed the way women dress today with a single piece, the wildly popular “Jackie O” dress; known for it’s versatility and ability to enhance a woman’s figure. Since its launch in 2002, Black Halo has expanded from its Los Angeles heritage, becoming an internationally renowned brand that can be found in over 1,500 stores worldwide. Here, this woman who truly understands what women want to wear shares her haute secrets to her home, the City of Angels.
1. Where were you born: Spokane, WA
2. How long in LA: 25 Years
3. Neighborhood: Hollywood Hills
4. Occupation: Founder and Creative Director of Black Halo
5. Favorite Restaurant: Gjelina in Venice
6. Best Sushi: Sushi Jen in Little Tokyo, DTLA or Sushi Ike in Hollywood
7. Best Italian: Osteria La Buca in Hollywood
8. Best Dessert: A warm berry cobbler
9. Best Place for a Romantic Date: Restaurant over the foot-bridge at the Sunset Marquis.
Check out the Morrison Hotel Art Gallery on your way in to your date night.
10. Best Sunday Brunch: Crossroads
11. Best Place for a power business meeting: Black Halo’s showroom in New York City.
12. If you have out of town guests, which hotel would you recommend: Chateau Marmont
13. Favorite Shopping Venue/Boutique: Paris, France
14. Favorite place to buy jewelry/watches: Kurt Rothener at Excalibur in Beverly Hills
15. Best Spa: I usually skip the spa and do acupuncture
16. Favorite Charity Event: Project Angel Food which is an organization that’s mission is “to
feed and nourish the sick as they battle critical illness”. Project Angel Food delivers
delicious and nutrient-packed meals directly to people’s homes so they can better focus
on healing with strength and dignity.
17. Favorite Cultural Event: I absolutely love Ballet and am currently obsessed with the
American ballet dancer Misty Copeland.
18. Favorite Cultural Institution: The Met Gala is on my bucket list of events to attend; it
raises money for the Costume Institution at the Metropolitan Museum in New York City.
This institute organizes exhibits that showcases fashion from five different continents
through seven different centuries. It really does a good job of transforming fashion into
works of art.
19. Best Steakhouse: An Italian Steakhouse in the Artists Loft District called Officine Berra.
A MUST when dining or exploring downtown LA.
20. Best Pizza: The best pizza I’ve enjoyed is definitely in Italy.
21. Best Lunch: Guerillas Taco truck
22. Best Gym/Athletic Facility: Wanderlust Yoga Studio in Hollywood and Laughing Lotus
Yoga in Manhattan
23. Best Massage: Deep Tissue
24. Best Limousine/Driving Service: Uber
25. Best Museum/Exhibit: The Broad downtown LA
26. Describe your city in three words: Land of Opportunity
27. Favorite Historic/legendary place to see or explore: The Getty
28. All-Around favorite spot in Los Angeles: Home Sweet Home
29. Best Aspect of Los Angeles: The Weather