Photo Credit: Sachin + Babi
Sachin and Babi Ahluwalia have been making their mark on some of the hottest red carpets in Tinseltown with their haute, seasonal and savvy fashion line, Sachin & Babi. The fashionable power couple met in 1994 while studying at New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology. After graduating, they married and launched ANK International, a creative resource for embroidery and design, which segued into the 2004 launch of their home collection, Ankasa. Five years later, in 2009, the designers launched their eponymous collection, a line of which manages to stay true to their inherent love of approachable luxury. In spring 2016, as a natural progression from the duo’s evening wear niche, as well as a direct request from brides, Sachin & Babi launched their first bridal collection. Here, Sachin shares a peek at his desk—where he and Babi come up with the designs that make women the world over feel more beautiful, more glamorous and, of course, as haute as possible.
- The Grapes Earrings – We started creating earrings earlier this year called “The Grapes” they are handmade in our atelier in Mumbai. We had such a success with The Grapes on our e-commerce site and are debuting a new collection of colors in the next couple of weeks.
- Contemporary Art – I really enjoy collecting contemporary art. One of my favorite pieces is this Ryan Singer piece titled “Mongolia #14” behind my couch. It was taken in Mongolia and was the inspiration to one of our spring collections.
- Skulls – They are a constant source of inspiration. You can find them in some of our archive embroideries. I am particularly interested in skulls with the Queen of England crown
- Embroideries – 20 years ago, Babi and I started our embroidery business which we still run today in addition to our label Sachin & Babi, you will also find an embroidery on my desk
- Cadbury Eclairs – They are my favorite candies from the UK. They are a perfect mid-day pick me up.