At its 33rd Annual Awards Gala on November 14th at the Pierre Hotel in New York, Calvary Hospital raised nearly $1,000,000 for programs and services benefitting Calvary patients and their families. Sade Baderinwa, Eyewitness News Anchor, WABC-TV, served as the master of ceremonies. Four-time World Series Champion and New York Yankee legend Bernie Williams performed with his All-Star Band.
Carlos M. Hernandez, chairman of the board of the Calvary Fund, and a dinner co-chair, presented The Calvary Medal to Henry A. Fernandez, Chairman & CEO, MSCI, Inc. He was recognized for his distinguished corporate and civic leadership and outstanding philanthropic commitments to the Calvary mission.
For more than a century, Calvary Hospital has been the nation’s only fully accredited acute care specialty hospital devoted exclusively to providing palliative care to adult patients with advanced cancer and other life-limiting illnesses. The hospital’s work began more than a century ago, in 1899, when a small group of widows in New York, inspired by the work of a group in France called Women of Calvary, began caring for destitute women with terminal diseases. They took care of the women first in their own homes, then in two brownstone houses on Perry Street in Greenwich Village. The House of Calvary moved to Macombs Road in the Bronx in 1915, became fully accredited in 1965, and officially changed its name to Calvary Hospital in 1969. Calvary Hospital has occupied its present site at 1740 Eastchester Road in the Bronx since 1978. More than 5,800 patients are cared for annually by Calvary’s inpatient, home care, and hospice services. Inpatient care is offered at our 200-bed facility in the Bronx and our 25-bed Brooklyn Satellite at NYU Lutheran. Calvary Hospice provides short-term inpatient care at The Dawn Greene Hospice, located at Mary Manning Walsh Home in Manhattan. To learn more about the hospital go to www.calvaryhospital.org. or visit www.facebook/calvaryhospital/.