Those seeking complete whimsy, magic and privacy from their hotel experience will enjoy a stay at the divine West Hollywood boutique hotel Petit Ermitage. This small but mighty hotel is everything we could ask for in a stay: it’s centrally located—just one block away from Santa Monica Boulevard and three blocks away from the Sunset Strip—but you’d never know it given that it’s hidden away on a small side street, surrounded by greenery. From the moment you enter the property, something like fairy dust engulfs you. There are vibrant neon signs suggesting you play the piano, a common-use computer with an old-fashioned typewriter keyboard and housemade chocolate chip cookies to greet you upon arrival. Pretty sweet, we’d say. Here are five reasons why this haute hotel might just be the most magical place to stay in L.A.
- THE GARDEN ROOFTOP. This is a prime spot for a little night magic. Experience globally inspired, eclectic fare from Italy, Japan, Egypt and yes, even Californian cuisine on this private rooftop underneath the starry night sky. You’ll be tucked away in an oasis-like garden cabana where—and here’s the best part—you’ll be able to enjoy complete privacy. The Rooftop Garden is only open to hotel guests or very close friends of the hotel (re: VIPs), so if unparalleled privacy is the name of your game, you’re in luck. For those who don’t want to see anyone, well, that can happen too: with a quick snap of your cabana curtains, you’re shrouded in secrecy.
2. THE PRIVATE ROOFTOP POOL. Talk about complete bliss. This rooftop affair is European-style, heated and saltwater. No chlorine = a very good thing. For those who don’t swim, don’t want to hike Runyon Canyon and still want a workout, there hotel has a newly renovated gym containing the latest Techno Gym equipment.
3. ELEVATED EXPERIENCES. The powers that be at Petit Ermitage make sure that there’s something for everyone here. Guests are offered complimentary yoga on the Fire Deck, in-suite spa treatments, movie screenings under the stars every Monday underneath fur blankets with fresh popcorn and cocktails as fabulous snacks and weekly gatherings for music, art and culture lovers in the hotel’s Master Lounge.
4. WHIMSICAL ROOMS. You’ll find circus monkeys, kitschy decor, original artwork and working fireplaces in some of the hotel’s best suites. The highlight is the Master’s Quarters, which is located on the uppermost floor adjacent to the Private Rooftop. The one-bedroom suite and executive suite are other awesome options: both include separate living areas, Scandia bedding, signature L’Ermitage mattresses, 618-thread count Egyptian cotton linens, complimentary Wi-Fi and crafted Venetian plaster walls.
5. BUTTERFLY BAR. Get in the mood for love at plush, lush drinking den the Butterfly Bar. You’ll emerge slightly tipsy and—dare we say it—perhaps even a little loved up after experiencing the specialty, crafted and seasonal “Spirits Love Potions” menu, ingredients of which are hand-picked from a nearby farmer’s market or local farm. You might even see the bartender muddling freshly-picked kumquats for your cocktail that are grown on-site.