One of the most regarded events to take place during Monterey Car Week, The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering (The Quail), is slated to return to the Quail Lodge & Golf Club in Carmel, Calif. on Friday, Aug. 19th.
What can car aficionados expect? For 2016, themes include: Rivalries of the Ages, the 100th Anniversary of BMW Celebrating Motorcars and Motorcycles, A Retrospective of Laguna Seca Raceway, the 50th Anniversary of the Lamborghini Miura, Pre-War Sports and Racing, Post-War Sports, Post-War Racing, Supercars, The Great Ferraris and Sports and Racing Motorcycles.
As for the vehicles slated to be at the event, there will be more than 200 plush automobiles from private collections around the world. Examples include, but are not limited to the following:
- 1957 Lancia Aurelia B20 ‘Outlaw’ Coupe, a modified take on the legendary race car that won its class at the 1951 24 Hours of Le Mans by a full lap and finished second overall in the Mille Miglia.
- 2016 Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus, which recently won its class at the 2015 24 Hours of Nurburgring then promptly drove off the track to Turin to Como and displayed at Villa d’ Este.
- 1934 Packard Chassis Coachbuilt Body, owned by Metallica frontman, James Hetfield, this lift-off hardtop roadster is built with a sinister elegance.
- 1966 Lola Mk2 T70 Can-Am,which left the London factory as a roadster in 1966, but can now be seen as a modified coupe in vintage races across the United States.
- 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder; a proper racecar with a pedigree and history that recently earned the title of “The Most Significant Porsche Class Winner” in 2008 at Amelia Island.
In a statement, The Hon. Sir Michael Kadoorie, Chairman of The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited and The Quail’s co-founder, said, “The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering has become the highlight of Monterey Car Week and one of the most sensational events of the year. Thousands of motor vehicle enthusiasts, collectors, hobbyists and friends come to Monterey to share their love and admiration for exquisite automobiles in an intimate garden party setting, while also benefiting charitable organizations. 2016 is a special year for The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, the parent company of Quail Lodge & Golf Club, as we celebrate our 150th anniversary. In honour of our anniversary, we are delighted to introduce one of our group’s 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom IIs, which is travelling around our properties in the US as a ‘goodwill ambassador.’ Also on display is the winner of the inaugural The Peninsula Classics Best of the Best Award which will be held on Aug. 16, 2016.”
If you would like to bypass the traditional ticket lottery and waitlist, for the first time ever The Quail will introduce its new Charitable Patron Ticket. The Charitable Patron ticket features include access to the rare display of the top automobiles, as well as access to the event’s gourmet cuisine, award winning wine and spirits, specialty cocktails and noteworthy local brewery selections in the traditional garden-party setting. All guests are welcomed to mingle, champagne in hand, as they enjoy live entertainment and indulge in decadent culinary offerings, including caviar and oysters.
Fifty percent of the Charitable Patron ticket will directly benefit Rancho Cielo, preferred Charity of The Quail. With the contribution, guests will receive the following:
- 1 Ticket to The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering with early access
- Exclusive access to The Quail Charitable Patron’s private lounge at the event
- Special Patron Parking Pass
- Recognition in the 2016 The Quail Magazine
- 1 Copy of the commemorative 2016 The Quail Magazine and Event Poster
- 1 Limited Edition Charitable Patron Lapel Pin