On Tuesday, April 26th Weeby, a web-hosting service, announced its 2016 Webby Awards Winners. The international awards honor the excellence on the internet including websites, online film and video, advertising, mobile sites as well as apps and social media.
Of the nearly 13,000 entries from all 50 states and more than 70 countries worldwide, less than eight percent were selected as nominees. Of the nominees only a few made the cut. A few of Haute Living’s Haute 100 listers and their companies and/or projects made the list including Jessica Alba (the Honest Company) and Dr. Dre (Straight Outta Compton’s digital campaign), among others.
The 20th anniversary ceremony will take place in New York on Monday, May 16th and will be available on demand at webbyawards.com Tuesday morning, May 17th. The Webby Awards video channel will feature all the show highlights, including special performances and the entire hallmark 5-Word Speeches from the night’s winners.
See the entire list of winners below.
Webby Special Achievement Awards:
Webby Lifetime Achievement: The Onion Having earned a record 39 Webby Awards in the Humor category since the Webby’s inaugural year in 1997, The Onion will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Webby Special Achievement: Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner The Girls creators will be honored for founding Lenny Letter, a weekly online feminist newsletter with nearly half a million subscribers.
Webby Entrepreneur of the Year: Jessica Alba the founder of The Honest Company will receive the first-ever Webby Award designation of Entrepreneur of the Year for her vision, entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to building a thriving $1 billion consumer goods empire.
Social Movement of the Year: #BlackLivesMatter founders Opal Tometi and Alicia Garza will accept on behalf of one of the most powerful international civil rights movements in history.
Film & Video Breakout of the Year Award: Making a Murderer creators Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos will accept for their chilling and wildly popular Netflix documentary.
Entertainment highlights from the 20th Annual Webby Award Winners include:
- Jimmy Fallon won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Social Content and Marketing
- First Lady Michelle Obama won two Webby Awards in the Online Film & Video category for Funny or Die’s Billy on the Street with Big Bird, First Lady Michelle Obama and Elena and CollegeHumor’s Go to College Music Video with First Lady Michelle Obama
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Writing in Social
- Funny or Die won its fourth Webby for Dennis Quaid’s On-Set Freakout for Best Individual Short (Comedy)
- Tracy Morgan won the Webby Award for Best Scripted Branded Entertainment for R/GA’s online video Tracy Morgan in a Christmas Miracle
- The Weeknd won the Webby Award for Best Music Video for In the Night
- Tyler Oakley won the Webby Award for Best Web Personality
- Straight Outta won the Webby Award for Best Digital Campaign
- SNL 40 won the Webby Award for Best Events and Live Webcast and both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards in the Variety category for Online FIlm & Video for Saturday Night Live’s 40th anniversary special
- Game of Thrones won the Webby Award for Best Overall Social Presence
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards a second year in a row for his YouTube Challenge I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy in the Viral category (Online Film & Video)
- Vanity Fair won a Webby Award for Call Me Caitlyn featuring Caitlyn Jenner in the Best Documentary category (Online Film & Video)
- Zoolander Returns to the Runway won three Webbys, including Best Live Experience in the Branded Entertainment category
- The 69th Annual Tony Awards won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Event in Social
- YouTube Music Awards won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Music Video Channel
- House of Cards – FU 2016 won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Integrated Campaign
Other highlights from the 20th Annual Webby Award Winners include:
- Google Cardboard’s Cardboard Crash VR won the Webby for Best Virtual Reality in Gaming, Interactive or Real-Time
- Tumblr won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Social Website
- Pocket won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Productivity App
- HBO NOW won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Streaming Video App
- Neymar Jr. won the People’s Voice Award for Best Sports Website
- Orchestra VR won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Virtual Reality: Cinematic or Prerecorded
- The Intercept won the People’s Voice Award for Best News Website
- Mapquest won the Webby for Best Humor in the Social Content and Marketing category for #AvoidTrump
- Tinder won the Webby for Best User Experience in the Mobile Sites and Apps category
- British Vogue won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Fashion & Beauty Video (Online Film & Video) for The Future of Fashion with Alexa Chung
- NASA won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Government & Civil Innovation Website
- The Love Has No Labels campaign won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Integrated Campaign
Photo via Instagram