It’s officially spring-cleaning season. While many of you will be clearing out your closets and scrubbing your decks and patios, don’t forget to make sure your diamonds stay dazzling. The diamond experts at Ritani shared five easy tips and tricks to ensure your diamonds continue to reflect light.
- Freshen Up: Baking soda, a kitchen staple, is known for many things such as being a key ingredient for baked goods as well as keeping your refrigerator fresh. But did you know it can be a great cleaning substance? Its mild, non-abrasive consistency makes it a great choice for cleaning all metals and precious stones.
- Directions – For platinum rings, mix a dash of baking soda with water to create a simple cleaning solution. Rub along the band and around the setting, then use a lint-free cloth to wipe dry.
- Minty Brilliance: Toothpaste, another common household item, can also help maintain your diamonds. It’s best to use the paste formula and apply it to a soft-bristled toothbrush. Also, consider purchasing a child-size brush; they have smaller heads and softer bristles that are perfect for ring cleaning.
- Directions – Gently rub toothpaste along the band and around the setting with a soft bristle toothbrush. Rinse with water until it looks brand new!
- A Deeper Clean: To get an even deeper clean, use a small amount of liquid dishwashing detergent. Again, make use of that child-sized toothbrush. Add a tiny bit of warm water and gently scrub your diamond.
- Directions – Using dishwashing detergent and a small toothbrush, scrub your ring until it sparkles. Rinse with warm water and wipe dry.
- Extra Shine: If you are looking to give your stones an extra boost of shine, following anyone of the above methods let the ring soak in a mixture of one part ammonia to three parts water for half an hour. Take the ring out and let it air dry to a bright sparkle.
- Directions – For a thorough clean, use one of the above methods and then soak your ring in a mix of one part ammonia to three parts water, for 30 minutes. Dry naturally.
- Bring in the Professionals: If your ring has acquired a large amount of dirt over a certain period, it may be time to see a professional. Pencil in a visit to your local jewelry store.
Don’t let this spring-cleaning season pass you by without restoring your diamond’s brilliance.
(Photo Credit via Ritani)