Louis Aguirre is not only the anchor on Channel 7’s top-rated show, Deco Drive, he’s also one of the most beloved people on television in Miami. And rightly so, with an infectious energy that comes across both in real life and when he’s on site covering American Idol auditions or finals, Louis is the real deal. He speaks English, French and Spanish with equal perfection after studying at the Sorbonne, and getting his start as a hard-hitting news anchor on a Telemundo affiliate. He went on to win Emmy’s, be a correspondant on EXTRA!, appear on Sex and the City, JAG and Burn Notice, fill in for Regis on Live with Regis and Kelly and more. Now, he’s known for his extensive traveling and Louis’ List. Whether you are watching him at 7pm on Deco Drive, or emceeing haute galas like Make-a-Wish, Tracy Mourning’s Hat’s Off Luncheon or Dwyane Wade’s Night on the RunWade, he’s always a pro.
Here’s what’s on Louis’ desk:
1. Meditation Buddha: signifying inner wisdom, emotional balance, and clarity; three virtues we often lose sight of in the crazy, fast paced, high pressure world of TV news. My Buddha is the first thing I see when I open my office door and I always have a candle lit by its side. It calms me and centers me, no matter how crazy my day gets. My office is also my zen den.
2. A picture of my dog Bo. Bo was the first dog I ever had. I raised her as a pup and she grew up to be one of the most extraordinary animals and companions I have ever known. She was so expressive and intuitive, I swear at times she was almost human. I lost her after 13 years in 2007 and I was devastated. Having her picture close to me comforts me to this day and helps me keep her memory alive.
3. Fresh flowers. Because someone very wise once told me that you should always romance yourself and buy yourself flowers at least once a week as a gesture of self reverence. I’ve been doing it religiously for two years now, it’s made a huge difference in my life.
4. Personalized blinged-out flask. This was a gift from a viewer who launched a small business personalizing and bedazzling every day objects. It was such a nice gesture. I love it. One day, I’ll fill it with a nice 1926 Macallan. I hear that’s another way to reach nirvana.
5. My rolodex. Because I’m fond of antiques. I never use it. It takes up so much space on my desk. All my important contacts are on my iPhone and on the cloud- but still I can’t bring myself to throw it away. I should meditate on that.