Rocco DiSpirito isn’t only an established chef, but he’s the man responsible for making Americans lose weight this summer with his new book and concept, The Pound A Day Diet. With his diet, DiSpirito says you can lose up to five pounds in five days — something every that will make every single beach-bound man or woman exceedingly grateful. Here, the 47-year-old chef shares his tips for staying beach-friendly this summer, his favorite healthy restaurants in L.A., a few ways to avoid over-indulging during the July 4th holiday and some of his favorite low-calorie meals to prepare.
1) What does The Pound a Day Diet entail? The Pound A Day Diet is an accelerated weight loss plan designed to help you lose up to a pound a day. You eat six calorie-calibrated, delicious meals throughout the day and consume more nutrients in my 850 calorie menu than most people do on 2,000 calories. Since you’re eating every 2-3 hours, you never feel deprived or hungry. In fact it’s quite the opposite – you will feel more light and energized, while enjoying the satisfaction of losing weight.
2) What are a few great diet tips to stay beach-friendly this summer (for men and women, as they might differ)? Summer is all about BBQing and heavy foods but there is a way eat all the BBQ favorites you love and still be healthy. I reimagined a traditional BBQ chicken dish in The Pound A Day Diet. The difference in my BBQ chicken cutlet recipe is that it’s only 129 calories per serving, low fat, high protein, gluten free and no sugar added. Another great way to stay fit this summer is to avoid sugary drinks. I keep my all-natural, sugar-free Southern-Style Sweet Tea in my fridge all summer long which is refreshing, healthy, and almost calorie-free!
3) Which celebrity weight loss are you most proud of personally coaching and why? I’m proud of all of my clients. Sherri Shepherd and Whoopi Goldberg have both lost over 30 pounds, Paul Stanley has incredible abs. They’ve all made a commitment to transform their food habits and are living proof that you can eat what you love and still lose weight.
4) What are some of your favorite healthy restaurants in LA? I like Nobu in Malibu – great food, great view and great scene. I also like to grab a bite at Culina at the Four Seasons when I’m in town.
5) What are a few ways to avoid over-indulging on holiday weekends like the 4th of July? Be conscious of what you’re eating, remember that just because it’s a holiday, that doesn’t mean you have a free pass to overindulge. Lay off too much alcohol, too.
7) What is on your cooking playlist? I like to listen to a lot of music that I loved as a kid like KISS. I’ve been adding some Bruno Mars to the playlist lately, too.
8) What else is new? I’m in the new season of Extreme Weight Loss on ABC where I help significantly overweight contestants learn how to lose a pound a day. Their inspiring stories are heartwarming and you’ll really root for their success.