David August Heil designs stylish custom menswear for megastars Chris Hemsworth and Michael Strahan
When it comes to the Oscars, red carpet menswear fashion is almost on par with winning the award itself. This year, two A-list celebrities, Chris Hemsworth and Michael Strahan, along with several other Hollywood luminaries, asked David August Heil to design stunning menswear for their appearances at the Academy Awards.
This isn’t surprising: Heil has rapidly gained a stellar reputation for designing couture menswear. He is known for creating timeless, customized looks steeped in fashion-forward style, paying the upmost attention to exquisite fabric and tailoring details.
The journey of dressing megastars for the Oscars starts months in advance, as Heil takes design-style planning meetings with the stars and their stylists. He personally selects stunning European fabrics, oversees the custom-tailoring process and attends several fit meetings with the stars and their stylists before the outfits are ready to wear.
This season, megastar Chris Hemsworth was named by US Weekly and GQ as one of the best-dressed men on the red carpet. Several Oscar style authorities also sang praises about the handsomely-styled clothing worn by talk show host and former NFL star Michael Strahan. The recent Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee wore two couture outfits for his televised Oscar appearances.
David August Heil Offers Evening Wear Tips
• Tuxedo & Dinner Jacket: A tailored jacket is always best. It creates an elegant, modern look. Notch and peak lapels are classic styles for dinner jackets, and the shawl lapel is a re-emerging fashion-forward look.
• Bow Tie: Don’t wear a pre-tied bow tie. Give yourself ample time before the event to practice tying; it’s not as easy as it looks.
• Shirt: The shirt’s collar points should be covered by the jacket lapels. A style detail that blurs the lines between jacket and shirt.
• Pants: Tuxedo pants are designed to be narrower at the thigh, knee and hem, therefore, the hem length needs to be shorter to create the best drape to the pant.
• Shoes: Always black, lace-up, patent leather or a high-sheen leather—no wingtips.
3140 Airway Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92626