Ever wonder what the most powerful leaders, business execs and celebrities keep on their desks? Well, we’re about to tell you. Our biweekly “What’s on My Desk” feature will take a look inside the offices and at the desks of the world’s most influential power players.
Charles Chen is the general manager of Hakkasan San Francisco. Situated on the second floor of the iconic One Kearny building, Hakkasan San Francisco offers modern Cantonese cuisine, including dim sum, extensive wine and sake programs, cocktails, late-night dining, and the Ling Ling under the auspices of Michelin- starred chef Ho Chee Boon.
The restaurant’s main dining area affords guests views of bustling Market and Geary streets through soaring arched windows, punctuated by latticed “cages” for a sense of privacy. Hakkasan also features a 25-seat V-shaped bar, two private dining rooms, and a 50-seat Ling Ling, a signature feature of Hakkasan, reflecting the old-school decadence of Chinoiserie.
In his role as general manager, Chen maintains strong communication between the kitchen, staff, and loyal patrons to ensure an elevated guest experience hallmarked by impeccable service, award-winning cuisine, and an outstanding beverage program. Here’s an inside peek at what Charles Chen keeps nearby to get it all done.
1. Event program from Painted Turtle – we like to be an active participant in the community, especially if it’s for a good cause!
2. Verve Coffee – always have to have coffee, especially from my favorite roaster from Santa Cruz.
3. Taste of the Nation flyers – always looking to promote good causes and events that we participate in.
4. In a word of e-mails and text messages, I cherish all of the hand written notes I receive from my guests. They serve as a reminder as to why I continue to work in the hospitality business.
5. I’m constantly looking over our wine and cocktail lists as the wine program is an intricate part of what we offer at Hakkasan.