Ever wonder what the most powerful leaders, business execs and celebrities keep on their desks? Well, we’re about to tell you. Our biweekly “What’s on My Desk” feature will take a look inside the offices and at the desks of the world’s most influential power players.
This week we’ve featured Bill Walshe,the CEO of the Viceroy Hotel Group. The Viceroy operates locations in 18 different cities worldwide, including LA’s Santa Monica and Beverly Hills as well as three new properties in the Maldives, New York City and San Francisco. The opening of Viceroy Istanbul in 2014 and Viceroy Bodrum in 2016 have also just been announced. Here is a look at the items on Bill’s desk:
* First up is the desk itself. My desk (which coincidentally is the same
age as I am) came out of a John Lautner designed home in Palm Springs.
Lautner, my favorite architect, used to keep on his own desk whatever he
happened to be thinking about that day – I do the same.
* My favorite pictures of my boys. Lucas and Finley. Technology has made
it so much easier to stay connected to family as I travel, but I love
real printed photos over digital / screen savers
* Food & Beverage is a core component of what we offer in our hotels,
and I am always seeking new ideas and inspirations. I recently met the
restauranteur Geoffrey Zakarian, and he gave me this book which I’m
using. I love to cook and have a current obsession with Olive and
* I travel constantly, and try to use the time on flights to catch come
up with ideas to improve guest experiences in our hotels and resorts. I
always have a digital recorder for when inspiration strikes, and most of
my voice notes start with a version of “what if we tried..”
* I like reading books about or by people I admire. I am currently
rereading Greg Norman’s autobiography. I am privileged to have had Greg
as a guest on many occasions and to spend time with him, and his focus
and determination in business as in sport are an inspiration to me.
* I love how smart technology helps me to be more efficient. I am huge
Apple fan, to the point of addiction…