Want to look picture perfect for your Oscar night close-up? Even if you’re not attending the actual Academy Awards, you can still mirror the look of the A-list ladies attending Sunday’s ceremony with the help of our experts, stylist Jonathan Antin of the Jonathan & George Salon and celebrity makeup artist/Clarins Color Concierge Rodgers McCowan. You may not be holding one of those coveted golden statues, but at least you’ll look like you deserve one!
RED CARPET READY TIPS & TRICKS
“I think that you will see a focus on glowing skin, highlighted with a bold bright lip. Spring is all about a beautiful, flawless complexion and gorgeous lip!” — Rodgers McCowan
- Get a facial a few days in advance of your event. Make sure you don’t cut it too close, so you aren’t red but still have fresh, clear skin.
- Exfoliate. Exfoliating your skin is the first step to achieving healthy, glowing skin.
- Use a toner on your skin to even skin tone, balance pH levels, removes excess dirt, and allow your skin to better absorb your serum/moisturizer. My top alcohol free toner recommendations is Clarins Extra Comfort Toning Lotion
- Treat yourself to an instant 5-second eye lift. First, apply Clarins Total Eye Concentrate, to instantly diminish puffiness, dark circles, and crow’s feet in on step. Then, apply Clarins Instant Smooth Line Correcting Concentrate followed by Clarins Instant Light Brush-On Perfector, to lift, brighten, and tighten your eye area while minimizing lines and wrinkles. Voila! You will notice that your eyes are instantly lifted and brightened, and you will see fine lines and wrinkles begin to disappear.
- To achieve a really flawless nude look, it’s essential to use an anti-aging serum of some kind before applying makeup. Clarins just released the new Double Serum, the first-of-its-kind facial skin care product that delivers immediate and visible results and long-lasting age-defying performance. Double Serum serves as the perfect base from which beautiful skin can shine-through, and can easily be layered under your favorite Clarins foundation or new BB Cream.This season is all about bright statement lips. Keep the rest of your look simple and use a bright lip color, such as Clarins Rouge Eclat in Juicy Clementine.
- Finish your look with Clarins Beauty Flash Balm to instantly brighten, tighten and revitalize skin for a fresh flawless complexion.Avoid the double-chin in photos: a quick, temporary fix is rubbing a shaping cream along your entire jawline, to decrease puffiness and draw the water out of this area. Clarins Shaping Facial Lift Serum works well for this technique.
- One way to keep your skin looking refreshed is to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water before your event, and try to keep drinking water throughout the evening. Also try to avoid salty foods, which can make you retain water and look bloated.
- Keep some oil-blotting papers in your bag at all times. In case you get any shine during your evening, just blot a few times and you’ll be shine-free and camera ready!
1. We will always and forever see the classic Veronica Lake finger waves. This year we will see this look with more of a runway-like technique. Controlled with a little chaos on the ends.
2. Don’t updo. There won’t be updo’s this year… just low backdo’s and severe side parts with chignons.
3. Accessorize! I always tell my celebrity clients to carry their hair essentials on the go.
4. Here are a few must-have essentials on red carpet day:
- Half a dozen bobby pins that match the color of your hair (provide a little extra hold)
- Mini Mason Pearson Brush (it may be windy or raining so you want to calm unruly hair)
- Oribe Dry Styling Spray in travel size (offers a little extra hold and volume)
- Black 15 in 1 Miracle Finishing Hairspray in travel size (adds shine and luster)
5. My go-to products for Oscar-worthy hair are:
- Any mousse or volumizing spray for the roots is a must! Maximista Volumizing Spray by Oribe and Elnett hairspray to finish and hold style!
What celebrities hair should we be watching this year?
6. The celebrities you’ll want to watch for style tips this year are Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain.
7. The best styling tools for achieving a long-lasting look are:
- Hot Tools Marcel Curling Iron
- Mason Pearson Brush
- Super Solano Hairdryer