Perhaps against your better judgment, you have agreed to host Thanksgiving this year, and now the to-do list is a mile long. You have to confirm the headcount for the umpteenth time, order the heirloom turkey, perfect Grandmother’s perfect pumpkin pie recipe … and so on. Concerned you won’t find a moment to decorate the house, too? Lean on Mary Rhoads, entertaining expert and owner of Simply Elegant Home, a darling home boutique in Media. With her five simple tips, you can easily add a dash of fall flair to your Thanksgiving table.
- Add shades of reds, gold, green and plum to create instant transition from Summer to Thanksgiving. Pay attention to key areas in your home (entrance, dining room, fireplace) that will give you great impact for little time and effort.
- Bring nature into your home by welcoming the outdoors inside. Combine branches and assorted fall flowers (try zinnias) for a striking centerpiece.
- Change the colors of your candles. Instead of using pastels, change to garnets, moss greens and every shade of brown.
- Enhance your table with several Fall motifs. Use your everyday white dinnerware, but add serving pieces that are shaped like leaves. Add salad or dessert plates in turkey or harvest motifs. Napkins that are screen-printed with leaves make a festive yet understated presence.
- Have beautiful glassware and stemware ready for festive beverages in a designated area. In addition to wine, be prepared with the ingredients for a signature drink and so you can stit back and enjoy your guests and the holidays, too.
Simply Elegant Home is located at 7 East State St., Media, 610.565.4007, www.simplyeleganthome.com.