On Tuesday, Oct. 5, some of the Valley’s best bartenders competed to create the perfect 2-ounce drink made with HARLEM liqueur. And while all the shots were delicious, we’re here to tell you which ones took the prize.
Industry professionals and members of the media gathered at The Phoenician Resort’s RELISH Burger Bistro to vote on the very best-tasting beverage crafted from HARLEM liqueur, named after the town called Haarlem located just outside of Amsterdam. The herbs, referred to as “kruiden” by the Dutch, give the spirit a unique flavor and make it go down particularly smooth.
Competing bartenders included:
- Trevor Hamilton from Martini Ranch – “Southern Picnic”
- Keith Caywood from Hotel Congress – “Harlem Purple Drank”
- Gail Riley from My Ole Man’s – “Harlem Range”
- Andrew Record from Hacienda del Sol – “Harlem Renaissance”
- Erica Pearce from Tilted Kilt Palm Desert – “Harlem Shake-down”
- Greg Markey from Dos Gringos Scottsdale – “The 5 Alive”
- Dave Lewis from Sky Box – “Dirty Pirate Hooker”
- Gina Cuneo from Draft House – “Harlem Nightkiss”
- Nichole Mitchell from Iguana Mack’s – “Harlem Sunset”
- Tony Giordano from Zuma Grill – “Harlem Nights”
- Jon Lane from Dos Gringos Scottsdale – “The Red Light”
- David Seralin from CHOPSTIX – “Harlem Night”
- Melissa Harrigan from Zuma Grill – “Harlem Harlet”
After all the samples had been tasted and the votes had been cast, the winning shots were the “Harlem Renaissance” by Andrew Record from Hacienda del Sol (Judge’s Choice), and the “Harlem Rage” by Gail Riley from My Ole Man’s (Fan Favorite).
Rosemary-Infused Simple Syrup
Fresh lemon juice
Thin zest of an Orange
Combine ingredients in a tin. Shake and strain into a shot glass. Garnish with the thin zest of an orange.
1 oz. HARLEM
½ oz. Smirnoff Raspberry Vodka
½ oz. Smirnoff Vanilla Vodka
Add ingredients to a shaker. Shake and strain over ice.