Bice opened it’s first location in Milan in 1924. Since the early days, Bice has been the one of the only places to see and be seen amongst generations of dedicated celebrity clientele and power players, including Frank Sinatra, Giorgio Armani, Andy Rooney, Sean Penn, Eric Clapton, Nicolas Cage, Tony Danza and Michael Bloomberg.
Though the buzz on the streets may not be what it once was during the days of Armani or Sinatra, a recent visit to Bice proved that this restaurant is still well worth it’s namesake and price tag. The atmosphere lends comfortably to an evening with family and friends to enjoy the celebration of essential home cooked Italian food.
Haute Tasting Highlights
- Bocconcini di Bufala Mozzarella con Pomodoro e Basilico – Though I’ve been more of a burrata and aged balsamic gal over the past year, this mozzarella dish was a most pleasant experience and reminder of a classic dish I’ve always adored. Flavors are forward, clean and satisfying. It’s exactly what you want and expect from a bufala mozzarella, tomato, and basil antipasti.
- Tartara di Tonno con Capperi, Cipolla, Avocado, Olio e Limone – Tuna Tartare is a staple these days on menus. Bice’s is a definite palate-pleaser with bold flavors and smooth textures. A beautiful layered presentation of fresh finely diced tuna is complimented by creamy avocado, accented by salty capers and onion, and all ingredients are brought up a notch to work together with a dash of olive oil and a splash of lemon.
- Ossobucco Con Salsa ai Funghi Porchini e Risotto Alla Parmigiana – Just like my nonna used to make. It’s warm and inviting. The meat is so tender it falls softly off the bone. Don’t forget to use the special tiny fork for the marrow, a luxurious treat. Served over perfectly cooked risotto. A dish you will certainly be glad you ordered.
Chapman’s Chopping Block
- Gnocchi – Starchy, chewy and slightly hard, this potato pillow is not meant for dreaming.
Haute Luxury Value
- Tiramisu Della Bice – There is something to be said for the art of the tiramisu. The delicate creme, essence of freshly powered cocoa and underlying sensation of espresso dipped lady fingers is one of the most palate pleasing tantalizing bites one can have. Bice surpasses all expectations on this one. This is a must order menu item. At only $10, it’s a definite Haute Luxury Value.
Bice is located at 7 East 54th Street New York, NY 212.688.1999