The homes in downtown’s historic Heritage Square are the only remaining residences from the town’s original establishment in the 1800s. Built in a distinctly Victorian style, the houses are not only a symbol of the city’s past and the fortitude of its first residents, but also something of a display as to the architectural evolution Phoenix has undergone. Among the most famous homes are The Rosson House, The Duplex, which houses the city’s Parks and Recreation Department, and the Baird Machine Shop, which houses the much-loved restaurant Pizzeria Bianco.
Heritage Square is located near 115 N. Sixth Street in Phoenix (602) 262-5071
The remnants of a 1,500-year-old Hohokam village, the Pueblo Grande Ruin can be visited by the public as part of the Pueblo Grande Museum, dedicated to preserving the history of the Hohokam culture and peoples. Included in the City of Phoenix’ Parks and Recreation Department since 1929, the indoor and outdoor museum is a true archaeological park, encompassing the ruins, irrigation sites, and exhibits. The staff collects and conducts research on Hohokam artifacts so that we might learn more about the first inhabitants of our state and the entire Southwest.
The Pueblo Grande site is located at 4619 E. Washington Street in Phoenix
The great golden dome of the Arizona State Capitol Building is hard to miss as it reflects light every which way. Built between 1898 and 1991, the building was meant to show the federal government of the United States of America that the Arizona Territory was more than ready to accept the responsibility of statehood (which it received in 1912.) The capitol building, interestingly enough, no longer houses the state’s legislature or governor’s offices, but has been converted into a museum, telling the history of Arizona from its early days as a territory to present times.
The Arizona State Capitol Building is located at 1700 W. Washington Street in Phoenix (602) 926-3620
The beautiful Spanish Baroque Revival-style Orpheum Theatre was built in 1929 in Downtown Phoenix for $750,000. Originally intended to show movies and live performances, the theater was owned by Paramount for nearly 20 years, beginning in 1949, before changing hands again end eventually being purchased by the city in the ’80s. And in 1997, after more than a decade worth of restoration work totaling a reported $14 million, the 1,364-seat theater is home to the Phoenix Opera and hosts a number of other intimate performances each year.
The Orpheum Theatre is located at 203 W. Adams Street in Phoenix
Phoenicians sometimes refer to the Tovrea Castle as “the wedding cake,” its distinct tiers highly visible from the highway and surrounding area. Built between 1928 and 1930 by an Italian immigrant, Alessio Carraro, the structure was to be at the center of Carraro’s future estate, although his dream never fully came to fruition. The Phoenix castle sits atop a hill studded with saguaros and other desert plants, now collectively called the Carraro Cactus Garden, and has been owned, preserved, and maintained by the city since 1993. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
The Tovrea Castle is located at 5041 E. Van Buren Street in Phoenix