While many of our younger readers may think that the notion of saving the earth was born with Al Gore, Americans have actually been officially celebrating all of the glories that Mother Nature has to offer—even if just one day each year—for 40 years now.
On April 22, 2010, anyone with a conscience (or a fear of PC repercussions) will join together to honor the 40th annual celebration of Earth Day.
While in decades past this may have been thought of as a bash for Birkenstock-lovers, in the 21st century, we have finally wised up enough to realize that a celebration of the earth can go hand-in-hand with the luxury lifestyle (we promise! Check out our weekly orGLAMic posts for confirmation).
If orGLAMic contributor Sandra Sanchez hasn’t convinced you that luxury and sustainability can make for beautiful bed partners, how about this news: Christie’s, the world’s leading art business, will host the fashion community in rallying behind the Green movement. Just check out some of the big brands who are throwing the weight of their name behind the cause:
- Francois-Henri Pinault
- Stella McCartney
- Giorgio Armani
- Vera Wang
- Bottega Veneta
- Dame Vivienne Westwood
- David Lauren
- Nina Ricci
- Proenza Schouler
- Anna Zegna
Christie’s Green Auction, “A Bid to Save The Earth,” will feature some must-have luxury items that make us drool with envy that we won’t be there for the bidding. Anyone available for some volunteer proxy bidding?
- Two Girard-Perregaux watches
- Lunch with Vera Wang and a $10,000 credit to her flagship store
- Bespoke Ermenegildo Zegna suit from the world’s finest wool
- Evening ensembles from Giorgio Armani to don at the 2011 Vanity Fair Oscar After-Party
- Custom-made Nina Ricci scents in a signature bottle made out of Lalique Crystal
- First fitting by Stella McCartney herself for “His and Hers” bespoke suits made of sustainable fabric
- A “Forever Now” Gucci package including a vintage 1960s Bamboo bag from Gucci’s archive in Florence, and a New Bamboo bag designed and customized by Creative Director Frida Giannini, in addition to two tickets to the SS 2010 Women’s Runway show in Milan, and backstage access to meet Frida Giannini
- Luxury luggage and accessories packages by Goyard and Valextra
- Fashion packages from designers including Marni, Missoni, Proenza Schouler and many more
- Jewelry by Harry Winston, Sharon Khazzam, Linda Lee Johnson, Mark Davis, Irene Neuwirth and more
We literally had to pick up our chins off of the floor after perusing the treasures awaiting at this auction.
Happy Earth Day Luxury-Lovers. Here’s some more official deets:
The live auction will be available globally via Christie’s LIVE™ and conducted by acclaimed auctioneer Christopher Burge. The accompanying silent auction, powered by Charitybuzz, will also include important photographic works, paintings, and sculpture. Details on how to participate in the silent auction or how to donate, volunteer and act can be found at www.abidtosavetheearth.org.